Motorcycles are one of the most popular, enjoyable, affordable, and convenient forms of transportation on the planet.
That said, how much do motorcycles weigh?
Weights will depend on the size of the bike, of course. But production models, such as the KTM 690 SMC-R, KTM Duke 390, Honda CRF250M/CRF250L, and the Kawasaki KLX250, weigh as little as 300 pounds (136 kg).
Dirt bikes will weigh even less than this, which we list below.
On the other end of the scales, the heaviest production motorcycles currently on the market include models like:
- Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
- Indian Roadmaster
- Honda Goldwing
- Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide Ultra
All of these motorcycles weigh in at over 900 pounds (408 kg) each.
These are the lightest and heaviest models available, but the average weight of a motorcycle is around the 400 pound (181 kg) mark.
How Much Does A Dirt Bike Weigh?
Again, weights will depend on the size. For a 125cc motorcycle, the average weight is right around 150 pounds (68 kg).
A 250cc bike will weigh around 230 to 250 pounds (104 to 113 kg).
A larger 450cc bike will weigh around 250 pounds (113 kg).
Weights Of Various Motorcycles:
- 2018 Ducati Panigale V4 – 430 pounds (195 kg)
- 2018 Harley Davidson Roadster – 571 pounds (259 kg)
- 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide – 884 pounds (400 kg)
- 2018 Husqvarna FC 450 – 223 pounds (101 kg)
- 2018 Honda Fury ABS – 681 pounds (308 kg)
- 2018 BMW K 1600 B – 741 pounds (336 kg)
- 2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited – 1,012 pounds (459 kg)
- 2018 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive – 606 pounds (275 kg)
- 2018 Kawasaki KLR 650 – 432 pounds (195 kg)
- 2018 Honda NM4 – 562 pounds (245 kg)
- 2018 Indian Chief – 818 pounds (371 kg)
- 2018 Honda Shadow Phantom – 549 pounds (249 kg)
- 2018 Yamaha YZF R6 – 419 pounds (190 kg)
- 2018 Triumph Bonneville T120 – 494 pounds (224 kg)
Types of Motorcycles
Since the first motorcycle was invented in 1885, a large number of manufacturers have emerged and have developed and built a wide range of motorcycles.
The main types of motorcycles available today include the following:
- Sports tourist
What Makes Up This Weight?
Motorcycles are made up of many different components. The size and weight of each of these components determines the overall weight.
The main components that add weight to a modern motorcycle include its battery, engine, body, and wheels.
~ Fun Fact ~
The motorcycle is a relatively-new mode of transport. The first internal combustion model to run on petroleum was built in Germany in 1885 by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach.
This early motorcycle looked a lot different to the bikes we see today.
This is because it was more or less a wooden bicycle with a gas engine attached to it!